Re: [VHFcontesting] Grid Circling

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>,"Matt Patterson" <mattpatt@1starnet.com>,"John Geiger" <ne0p@lcisp.com>, "Bob Naumann - W5OV" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Grid Circling
From: "wd0t" <tdravland@pie.midco.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:41:46 -0500
Guys,

The rules do not point out that you cannot run a captive rover.  When W7XU
here in SD was on the air before the tornado took down his stuff, we used to
run the VHF contests with a captive rover or 2.  I can tell you with a HIGH
degree of certainty that in SD you do not have a lot of rovers, or much VHF
activity, period.   We used those rovers to work a lot of grids that
otherwise had NO chance of being covered, even adjacent grids to our EN13
were not active.  Its just a fact of where we are at.  If those rovers
happened to work someone else, not a problem, they were not told not to work
anyone. In that case they are not totally captive.

Arliss had one of THE biggest VHF setups that I have ever seen or operated
at, and did we win the limited multi? NO.  We came close, but not a win. If
we had been out east, perhaps we would have won, but it really didn't
matter. We came together and gave it our best shot and let the results fall
as they may.  Thats all anyone can do.

As long as the rules don't forbid captive rovers, or grid circling, or
making schedules for that matter, it will happen for those who want to be
competitive. We will operate within the rules.

73, God Bless! Todd WD0T