Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest Tweaks?

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest Tweaks?
From: "KA6AMD" <ka6amd@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 13:06:04 -0700
My 2 cents on this is that there needs to be a little more differentiation
for the higher frequencies.  While six often has poor local propagation, it
still has a much better possibility to open up for long distances.  Here is
my tweak to the scoring:

6M,  2M, & 432          1 point              Easy to get on out of the box
these days
222, 902 & 1296         2 points             More of a challenge to get on &
reward to increase activity
2304 - 10 GHz             3 points            Still a technical challenge;
propagation not limited by atmospheric absorbsion
24 GHz - 100 GHz      4 points             Path loss a real challenge &
equipment is really fussy
100 GHz +                   5 points            Here's where the real
pioneers hang out

The object is to get people to move to less popular bands and take on more
of a technical and operating challenge.  (Now I have to find time to put
together that 10GHz transverter with a new baby arriving in June.)

Erich
KA6AMD
DM15