Re: [VHFcontesting] Andros 2 piece N connectors

To: "VHFContesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Andros 2 piece N connectors
From: <w0eea@sbbco.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 04:29:48 -0600
        I am getting ready to install my VHF/UHF antennas soon. Anyone use
the Andros 2-piece N connector?  What do you think?  I am a bit skeptical,
always thought Amphenol made the best N connectors, was unaware these
existed. These would be used on Belden 9913F7 cable.
If this is the wrong place to ask, these connectors would be used in a
contest environment hi.
73
Warren NØWF

Hi Warren,

Having both questions and reservations about these connectors,  we made
several cables with various typs of coax and checked them on a network
analyzer.  Our findings were that up to 2450 MHz they worked well,  being
indestinguishable from our sample cables with other types of N connectors.
We were not pleased with the cables using the two piece N connectors at 3450
Mhz and above for several reasons.  These included non-repeatability of
readings,  impedence anomolies,  and slightly higher attenuation for a given
length cable when compared to properly made cables with Amphenol N
connectors.  The Amphenols are harder to install properly,  but from 3 GHz
up the reward the careful user.

73,

Jim   W0EEA