Re: [VHFcontesting] Proper use of Call Frequencies

To: <k1ep@mgef.org>, "'Ron Hooper'" <w4wa@alltel.net>,<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Proper use of Call Frequencies
From: "Jim Worsham" <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:01:18 -0400
I was going to write my own response to Ron's questions but Ed beat me to
it.  Just a few comments.

1.  I am not aware of any "official" protocol.  Most folks around here call
CQ a few times and if someone answers they move off frequency.  If you call
CQ for a while and don't get a response then you let someone else have at
it.  Most folks around here seem to do a good job of sharing the frequency.
That must not be the case everywhere.

2. I believe that the intent of the question was to ask if 144.200 should be
treated like 146.52 is now.  In other words, contacts made on that frequency
would not be valid contacts for contest purposes.

3. I don't believe (personal not VUAC comment here) that this benefits
contesting at all.  Who it does benefit is somewhat of a mystery to me.

4. Like Ed says there is NO proposed rule change at this time.  Only a
question.  The question applied ONLY to 144.200.

5. Good question.  I don't believe (personal not VUAC comment here) that it
is enforcable in any practical way.  We would have to require folks to log
their exact frequency for every contact or something similar.

73
Jim, W4KXY