Re: [VHFcontesting] LoTW for Rovers

To: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>,vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] LoTW for Rovers
From: Ed Parish K1EP <k1ep@mgef.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:04:44 -0400
I haven't really used it for VHF rovering, but I have used it for HF rovering,
AKA county hunting.  I have done QSO parties from as many as 16 counties, which
is a reasonable comparison to a rover in a VHF contest.  Yes, it is a PITA.
But, once you set up a key for each grid or county, it is set up.  And that
doesn't take much time.  Then you segregate your log by grid square and upload
each one via the appropriate key.  Maybe a better way would be to have the
TRANSMITTED information (such as TX grid or TX county) as part of the ADIF or
Cabrillo uploaded information.  That information is part of the key at this
time.  Of course, there are those who only have one key and upload all of their
logs via that key.  I have discovered LoTW QSLs for states/grids that I know I
haven't worked because of that.  So, I sometimes question the integrity of
LoTW, it is just as fallible as paper QSLs, just in different ways.  Of course,
LoTW doesn't yet support VUCC, which I think that they s
 hould, as it would increase activity.