Re: [VHFcontesting] question about portable operator class

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] question about portable operator class
From: KA6AMD <ka6amd@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:12:12 -0700
David,

I have operated this class a lot.  The rules prohibit the use of the
home station and limit you to 10W.  This puts the emphasis on antennas
and location, location, location.  Since I live in a hole with +5000
mountains all around it, portable is the class where I have a shot at
being competitive.

You describe my setup very well.  Look at my web site to see how I got
it all in the truck.  http://home.earthlink.net/~ka6amd/Sep2002VHF.html
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eka6amd/Sep2002VHF.html>

You can also backpack up all the equipment, but you have to travel a lot
lighter.  The biggest problem is a power source, they are always heavy.