Re: [VHFcontesting] Changing "it" - The framework for a new contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Changing "it" - The framework for a new contest
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 21:20:35 -0800 (PST)
From: Dean Denter <ddenter@storm.ca>
Excerpted:
> Why complicate the QSO counting system?
> I'd much rather see a scoring system where I get the QSO
> points, but get less multipliers.

Hi Dean,
The point of this proposal is "changing it".  The "it" is the grid-based
centricity of the presently dominant (in North America) scoring system.
Interestingly, the proposed change does exactly what you are noting above...but
in new ways.

The proposal is for a new contest, with a new focus.  Imagine changing the
focus from "logging grids" to one of working DX (and using grids only as a
DX-determining mechanism -- similar to the 10 GHz and Above Contest).

In a DX-point based system, it doesn't matter that the grids next door are
rare.  QSO's from them are worth only around 70 points to you (assuming that
the QSO is from FN04nn to FN14nn).  Your score would benefit from working those
stations in New England or the Maritimes, where the QSO's are worth several
hundred points each.

On the other side of the circuit, those New England stations will be looking
for YOU.  Your QSO will be worth more to them than several local QSO's will.

Scoring is summative.  Simply add up all of the DX-points of all of the
contacts and that is your final score,  Rovers simply add all DX-points just
like home stations...except that rovers add DX-points from all locations to
arrive at a final score.

Ev, W2EV