Re: [VHFcontesting] Changing "it" - The framework for a new contest

To: n9rla@yahoo.com, w2ev@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Changing "it" - The framework for a new contest
From: AA4ZZ@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:16:25 EST

In a message dated 11/8/2006 5:44:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
n9rla@yahoo.com writes:

What if  Grid6 (not Grid4) were used as the exchange?
>What if QSO points were  1/km (as calculated Grid6-to-Grid6)?
>What if one end of a QSO must move  50km before another QSO with the same
stations was allowed for additional  contest credit?
>What if scores summed for all operating  locations?

I actually like the idea.  I think distance scoring  would be a blast.  I'm
not sure, however, if the VHF contesting community  is ready to use 6 digit
grids.  I still get quite a few folks who don't  know their 4 digit grid each
contest.  Helping them figure out their 4  digit grid isn't difficult, but I'm
not sure how I would do their 6 digit  grid.  I use a GPS when I Rove now, so I
wouldn't have any problem.   I used to use maps with 4 digit grids marked out
on them until a couple of  years ago.  I don't think that would be very easy
with 6 digit  grids.  Before we could kick off a distance scoring based
contest, I  think we would need a plan to deal with this  issue.

If someone wants to do a distance scored contest,  they could do it  with 4
digit grids and run it parallel to the ARRL tests. Anyone who chose to  could
send a second Cabrillo log to the distance scoring group for calculation  and
results could be put on the web.

73 Paul AA4ZZ