Re: [VHFcontesting] Changing "it" - The framework for a new contest

To: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Changing "it" - The framework for a new contest
From: Dan_K9ZF <n9rla@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:43:37 -0500
>What if Grid6 (not Grid4) were used as the exchange?
>What if QSO points were 1/km (as calculated Grid6-to-Grid6)?
>What if one end of a QSO must move 50km before another QSO with the same
>stations was allowed for additional contest credit?
>What if scores summed for all operating locations?

I actually like the idea.  I think distance scoring would be a blast.  I'm not
sure, however, if the VHF contesting community is ready to use 6 digit grids.
I still get quite a few folks who don't know their 4 digit grid each contest.
Helping them figure out their 4 digit grid isn't difficult, but I'm not sure
how I would do their 6 digit grid.  I use a GPS when I Rove now, so I wouldn't
have any problem.  I used to use maps with 4 digit grids marked out on them
until a couple of years ago.  I don't think that would be very easy with 6
digit grids.  Before we could kick off a distance scoring based contest, I
think we would need a plan to deal with this issue.

I would certainly be game to giving it a try.

73
Dan
--
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269