Re: [VHFcontesting] 1296

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 1296
From: Ray J <ray@w9ray.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:04:01 -0600
other than spending big $$$ on a preamp you should probably  look around
for better Coax..

Bury flex is not a Low loss cable... at 1296 anyway..
you are looking at a 6.8 db loss
this is going to take 20 watts down to 4 watts in the coax..

u should try to look for surplus 1/2 inch or 7/8inch  hardline.

or even a new cable on line , 1/2 Andrews helix is $250
but thats still ...3.2 db loss still half of your power lost.. a much
better cable than the bury flex stuff..

a preamp is  often used on all bands above 432mhz by  many "serious"
stations

best answer is get better cable and preamp...lol
but then again... anything is better than nothing at all

W9RAY

Ray J
EN44gt
6m-13cm