Re: [VHFcontesting] Subject: Re: vhf/uhf activity

To: WB4UNA@aol.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Subject: Re: vhf/uhf activity
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:05:32 -0800 (PST)
WB4UNA's post has pretty much summed it up.

And what I've noticed is that those who get into VHF "Weak
Signal" tend to be those who seek technical challenges, not
just operating challenges. And these challenges are sought
just "for the fun of it", for many others in ham radio they
tend to see the various "technical" challenges as a
"necessary evil" to tackle in order to get to do what they
want to do.

Also in and of itself the current class of license has next
to nothing to do with anything as previously noted. But I
have also noticed that those who have been in the WS game for
many years and stick with it are often Extras. I don't think
that particular ratio has changed much with the introduction
of the no code Tech either. And like pursuing the technical
challenges for "the fun of it", the licensing challenges were
just for the "fun" of it too. So it's the challenge seekers
who get into (and stick to) VHF WS and the generally higher
level of license class that many of the WS operators have now
just came along with it.

And finally the VHF WS game takes more patience too. You may
go months between significant DX openings. On HF you will
have some kind of a DX opening to somewhere on just about any
given week. A lot of VHF FM and HF ops don't have that kind
of patience. However during those quiet times between the
openings is when you should be working on the gear ;)...

Duane
N9DG