[VHFcontesting] inverters and rotors and such

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] inverters and rotors and such
From: "frank bechdoldt" <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 23:23:00 -0700
One year I had the bain child of packing a 700 watt converted SB 200 on 6
meters and a 1200 watt inverter while roving.  Problem was the RFI HASH.  I
wrapped that sucker in tin foil for a farady box and grounded it to the
chasis and it knocked out some of the noise. I later mounted it on the rood
of thr white rover, in a aluninum box for a farady box and drove my big
white farady box and still got hash.  I purchased a TE amp and sold the SB
200.

Later I bought a coleman 400 watt inverter and got all kinds of hash.  I
wanted to use it to run my lap top. I then spent the full 100 bucks for a dc
dc converter for my laptop and still got hash.  I wrapped that converter up
in tin foil and a copper braid to ground and the NB took it out.

If you use an inverter for a rotor then put a kill switch that you can shut
it off.  All things being said, the steering wheel / rack and telescoping
mast combo is the best rotor for the rover. Just turn slow when the mast is
up and limit the mast to one or 2 antennas.  However I make many contacts
off the side of 8000' mountains and I sometimes skip the raising of the
mast.