Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF 6 m condx

To: crawfish <crawfish@surfmore.net>, John Geiger <aa5jg@lcisp.com>,Ellen Rugowski <ellenjoanne2003@sbcglobal.net>,Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF 6 m condx
From: w0ld <w0ld@pcisys.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:36:20 -0600
If I might add my .02 cents worth.

I well remember the l987 June VHF QSO party.  I was a part of the WB0DRL
contest crew in Kansas.  Six meters never closed the entire weekend.  On
Sunday morning I was operating six when the two meter operator WA0TKJ said 2
meters was open from Florida to Kansas.  2 meters was open for almost two
hours that morning.

That was the weekend that the first 220 Mhz. E contacts were worked.  While
the WB0DRL station was not in on the 220 Mhz. propagation, I can remember 2
meter operators in the southeast looking for 220 Mhz. stations to try work
and lining up skeds on 2 meters.

The higher bands opened and that same weekend and we were working into 8 and
9 land all the way to W2 on 432 and 1296.

That was the "grandaddy" of all VHF contests.  I have been operating on the
VHF bands for 25 years and have never experienced conditions like the June
1987 contest.  What a wild time!

Lauren Libby W0LD