Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF 6 m condx

To: Paul Kiesel <k7cw@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF 6 m condx
From: curtis roseman <croseman@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:48:31 -0500
Good to hear from some folks who remember the Big One.

In June 1987, I was with the N6CA group on Mount Pinos in Southern California.
 That year we got the biggest score ever attained from the West Coast.   On
Saturday we were working single and double hop to the east (as far as Bermuda),
but only stations south of the Mason-Dixon line.    Then on Sunday, the pattern
moved to the north and were were running 7s and 0s through 1s.   I had gotten
up early on Sunday to run some meteor skeds, and found the band wide open to
the Pac NW.  Overall, as I recall, we never stopped to S&P, just ran them.
After the contest ended, on Sunday evening, I had a long conversation on 6
meters with W3EP who was in Indiana.  He was S9 plus.   The band just didn't
want to quit.

I suppose it could be argued that last July's CQ WW VHF contest was just as
good on 6; the record for grids worked on 6 was broken then.  Doesn't matter;
we participate each year, and every once in a while, we experince a Big One.

73.  Curt Roseman   k9aks