Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 03:37:54 -0700 (PDT)
----- Original Message ----
Having said that, activity begets activity and if ARPS keeps folks in the seat
more because they find contesting "easier," I say go for it.  The HF'er I was
talking to suggested a limited category for those that do not want to track
folks on APRS and want to compete on their skills to track a rover.  I thought
this was a great idea!
----------------------------

As someone who has used the strategy effectively and positively (I even did a
presentation on it at the Toronto CSVHF), I can say that HamIM/APRS makes
contesting "funner" for many reasons ... a couple of which have nothing to do
with finding rovers, by the way.

I heard a "big gun" contact a rover that I couldn't hear on SSB, so I "HamIM'd"
him (he was using the strategy too) a keyboard message "I don't hear nuthin'.
RU logging the SK list again? :)"  What ensued was a moment of good natured
cajoling via HamIM, after which we went back to contesting.

Please: there is no reason for more categories.  HamIM can be applied to all
existing categories of operation.  If a new category is warranted, then it
should apply to those with CQ keyers, too.  There is no difference in operation.

Ev, W2EV