Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting

To: "'Ev Tupis'" <w2ev@yahoo.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting
From: "Stephen Hicks, N5AC" <n5ac@n5ac.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:10:42 -0500
Ev,

I want to focus for a bit on just these statements (below at bottom
proceeded with ">").  The whole idea of using APRS intact without making any
changes -- that is using the Internet component FindU.com, etc. -- is that
it is a network already built by hams and it works extremely well.  YES, I
know that it uses the Internet and we didn't build the Internet.  YES, I
know that at times there might be two signals on theair at once if it
transmits while I am transmitting.  But who really cares?  I think your
point is to remind me that this is against the rules.  Of course it
currently is -- this is why we are lobbying for a change in the rules.

When I see someone say things like your #(3) below, I am very confused.  The
impression I get is something like "one of the fundamental tenants of VHF
contesting is that no more than one signal be present on a band at a time."
It feels like it is said with the force of an ancient religion or something
that we should not question or ever change.  My point is that if we don't
like the rule (collectively), lets just change it.  There are no stone
tables to re-carve... The NTMS and RMG groups have run a contest down here
for three years that allows APRS and the world has not fallen apart as we
used it during a contest.

I have no doubt that there are plenty of strategies that would effectively
replace the use of APRS for rover tracking.  One of them would be for rovers
to make, and stick to, a schedule.  If a fixed station has a printed
schedule that is accruate, why would he need the Internet to tell him what's
going on?  This should be obvious.  Another would be to iron-butt it and
follow a rover through thick and thin and ensure that you know where they
are.  I am not disputing that there are effective strategies employed by
expert contesters that make APRS use simply a tool for the weak.  Instead,
my point is that here in the South (where we say "folks") there are fixed
stations that have simply chosen to get out of their seat and do something
else.  When I ask why, sometimes I hear that they couldn't find me as a
rover.  Some would say that if you want to bad enough, you could find all
the rovers.  Some would say that if you don't want find stations in a
contest, turn off your radio and pick another activity than contesting.  I
have heard these arguments.  In the end, if you follow them to their logical
conclusion, it leaves us folks in the South with LESS OPERATORS.  And since
activity begets activity and we don't have a lot then other stations also
leave because some of the fixed stations no longer seem to be interested in
operating.

We simply have a fragile network of folks that contest down here and
anything I can do to make it more fun for them is worth the effort in my
books.  If it's against the rules, and we are collectively in agreement,
let's just FIX THE RULES rather than design an elaborate way to get around
the rules with a lot more equipment for everyone.  Your system is elegant
and I have no doubt that it works and that it works within the rules.  I
commend you on your skill in devising it and creating it.  Perhaps you would
like to call each of the fixed stations down here and discuss their purchase
of the equipment and how learning it will add to their fun.  You may have
trouble reaching them, though, because they just spent $1000 on a new
transverter and are HAVING FUN building it.  For them (and me) contesting is
a about technical achievement in the weak signal portion of the band and
that's where we want to spend our money and time.

The real proof would be to allow it, but only in an assisted category, and
see how many operators gravitate to that category.

73,
Steve, N5AC

> 1. "Pardon the sarcasm, but the folks that would like to see APRS used
want to see it used FOR the specific abilities you have called out below."
(referencing the configuration changes that would be necessary in order to
use APRS in ARRL contests)

> 1a.Then "folks" wish to operate (1) Assisted, (2) Using non-Amateur means
of communication, (3) with more than one signal per band in clear violation
of the rules. :)  There are ways to get similar benefits without violating
those rules.  That is what I meant when I said that there are operators who
have learned strategies to be successful (like us ugly people who figure out
how to get noticed in a crowd of pretty people <g>).