Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting
From: Ray J <ray@w9ray.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 21:07:42 -0500
I fail to see how transmitting your call and latitude and longitude data
is self spotting..

You are not transmitting your rx/tx  frequency.. or any qso
information... ect...
the only thing you are transmitting is your callsign and  your latitude
and longitude..
And as far as I know the APRS system .. is not any type of spotting
network.....unless you count "spoting" where vehicles and weather
stations are located...
the act of "spotting"  is "announcing your own call and run frequency".
according to the arrl..

The whole point of using APRS,  is so people will know where the
rover's  are.. period...  Thats it...

I don't  know how much time we spent in the recent UHF contest trying to
figure out what rovers were where... If they moved yet?... Are they on
the road?  We missed a lot of qso's because of this lack of data, which
APRS could have HELPED  provide.. I am sure looking at aprs data would
not have cheapened our experience at all....  we scored over 50,000
points, here in upper Wisconsin.. so its not like we were not seriously
trying...

I see no problem with using the APRS system as it stands now...... I am
all for a rule change..

Ray J
W9RAY