Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS while roving

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS while roving
From: Eric Watkins <shelshok@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:22:14 -0700
I'm lost, how does using APRS constitute multiple transmissions? It's
not that hard to turn off the aprs radio when you flip over to 2m ssb
or cw. You could put a relay in that did it for you. Sure, if you
left APRS on all the time while roving, I could see how it could TX
while you were on SSB, but it doesn't have to be that way. In fact,
most APRS setups are set to not TX if they receiving any sound(data)
breaking squelch. (Collision avoidance.) The last time I ran APRS and
SSB at the same time, the TX on SSB overrode the front end of the RX
on APRS so badly that APRS would never TX while I was using SSB. I
had a relay in place to block APRS TX during SSB TX, but because the
RX on APRS was overloaded it wasn't even used.

People using hamIM have been turning off their APRS TX rig for a
while now and it's not so hard that we need to thrash the rulemakers
for making APRS use legal.

(Thanks for making APRS legal.)

kr0ver