Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS while roving

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS while roving
From: "Mike McCarty" <kb8yhv@amsat.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:50:26 -0600
> Hmmm... this is odd.  I see what people are saying about multiple
> transmissions on the same band, but take a look at the rules:
>
> 2.3.7. Rovers are permitted to use APRS. Rovers using APRS transmit only
> their call sign and position. Any multi-op station may
> access rover APRS data directly or via the Internet.
>
> That would seem to indicate that even though APRS is a transmission, its
> somehow OK.  Am I reading that correctly?

Hi all, I'm new here...

Sounds like it's OK, but only for self spotting for rovers and then only
multi-op stations can use it, as it constitutes a spotting
network.  No HamIM between stations to facilitate QSOs.  Yes, the new rules
allow APRS, to some extent, but limit what
can be done with it.

Assuming simplex packet is a valid digital mode for VHF contests, I guess only
those using packet in connected mode would
be able to log it, as any sort of unconnected means would constitute APRS
transmissions, which seems to be limited to self spotting
only for rovers...

-Mac, KB8YHV