Re: [VHFcontesting] Stamp Increase Jan 14, 2008 (from Canada)

To: "Nate Duehr" <nate@natetech.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Stamp Increase Jan 14, 2008 (from Canada)
From: "Joe Serocki" <joeserocki@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 22:56:53 -0600
LOTW costs a little bit, but it is not significant considering the security
and integrity and the maintenance behind it.

I like getting the paper cards myself, but that is because at almost 50 I am
just old. Electronic qsl'ing is the way to go, though. You can submit for
ARRL awards electronically, all sorts of cool stuff.

On 1/7/08, Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> wrote:

> Jim Worsham wrote:
> > The problem is an eQSL can't be used for anything except look at it and
> LotW
> > is far from free.
> >
> > 73
> > Jim, W4KXY
>
> Other than membership in the only organization that supports hams
> nationwide and sponsors most of the VHF contests...
>
> ????
>
> Do they charge for LotW these days?  Maybe I missed something.
>
> I was just replying to the ham that sent the postal increase info for
> Canada with an off-the-cuff comment that any sort of electronic logging
> sure looks "better" these days than paying for postage.
>
> I don't know what the ultimate solution is.  Just a comment.
>
> So far I have one person who e-mailed me direct asking what Canada's
> rate increase was going to be (see the previous guy's e-mail, I guess)
> and this reply that LotW isn't free.
>
> Okay, mmm... whatever.  Just thought it might drum up some conversation
> on the "future" of logging contacts.  QSL cards still rock, and make
> great "wallpaper", for sure.  But the costs associated with them is
> kinda getting annoying to my budget, making them "less fun" than they've
> been to me personally, anyway.
>
> "Less fun" is not the direction I want my hobby to go, if ya know what I
> mean!  (GRIN)
>
> Nate WY0X

Joe, N9IFG
President, WeLCARS (http://welcars.org)