Re: [VHFcontesting] Stamp Increase Jan 14, 2008 (from Canada)

To: wa4kxy@bellsouth.net, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Stamp Increase Jan 14, 2008 (from Canada)
From: Tom Carney <tomc@carneysugai.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 22:11:31 -0800
Jim Worsham wrote:
> It is my understanding from talking to folks that use LotW that uploading
> your log is free but if you want to use it for an award it is like $2 a
> card.  If true, that would make a DXCC or VUAC an expensive piece of paper.
> No criticism of LotW intended.  I just wanted to point out that nothing of
> value is free.
>
> 73
> Jim, W4KXY

This from the ARRL site:

The basic fee for a QSL record issued for award credit will be $ 0.25
(USD 0.25). Quantity discounts will apply depending on number of credits
purchased.

Credits can be purchased according to the following table. Credits may
be purchased at any time and in any price category. You may purchase any
number of credits at the same cost, up to the next break point.

Credits         Cost per
Credit          Total
Cost
50              $ 0.225         $ 11.25
100             $ 0.200         $ 20.00
250             $ 0.175         $ 43.75
500             $ 0.150         $ 75.00

(end of quote)

This is less than the cost of a stamp.  A SASE to a US manager cost you
two stamps, to a foreign one two to three dollars.   Guess the buro
would be cheaper.

The big problem with LOTW currently is that it's only good for DXCC.
It's been that way for two to three year now and despite statements from
ARRL that other awards are going to be supported, it still limited to
DXCC.  Thus you can't use LOTW confirmations for VUCC credit.

73,

Tom  K6EU