Re: [VHFcontesting] Great idea -- Kudos to Grid Pirates

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Great idea -- Kudos to Grid Pirates
From: Paul Kiesel <k7cw@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:39:07 -0800 (PST)
You guys kill me. You know, it's awfully hard to sit here reading about all
this conjured up evilness, deception and blatant disregard for the "intent" of
the rules without jumping in. So, here I am, since I couldn't hold back any
longer. I know there are many others who agree with me, but I would be willing
to bet that they can't see the point in getting into it on here now when people
continue to not understand after all these months of bellyaching.

Publishing the logs will do absolutely nothing towards ridding you of the
tactics of the grid circlers and other "offenders." It's obvious what they are
doing. And it's equally as obvious that they are within the rules as they do
it. Seeing their logs won't change that. Those who are after "burning" the
infamous grid circlers, captive rovers, etc. aren't going to get their way. The
problems clearly lie within the contest rules. This is why the term of the VUAC
has been extended. The ARRL knows that things need to be tended to. Each VHF
contester has a representative on the VUAC. The list of members is on the ARRL
web site. If you haven't communicated yet with your representative on the
committee, you ought to consider doing that instead of letting yourself to get
all heated up unnecessarily. As far as catching guys who fill their logs with
"contacts" that they didn't make goes, forget it. Most people don't inherently
cheat and those who do would cheat
 never come close to winning a contest, anyway. Put another way: Most who score
well in contests find greater gratification from competing honorably than they
would from winning. These people, in my opinion, would not cheat in order to
win.

Regarding the real topic, open logs:
I think there should be open logs. After all, this is a competition. One could
ask how he should be able to modify his own tactics in order to compete better
if he couldn't analyze his competition's tactics. You'd have to be able to see
who they worked and when on each band. Knowing the transmission modes they used
might turn out to be of great value, I think.

I think that if the ARRL has good reasons for not publishing the logs, they
should state them in the rules and then everybody move on. (I have a hunch that
this situation has a lot more to do with the expense of it than it does with
anything else.)

Bottom line: Guys aren't winning contests because of cheating. You're not going
to make anything better by trying to catch them. If you don't like what's going
on, call your VUAC rep and be done with it.

K7CW