Re: [VHFcontesting] Great idea -- Kudos to Grid Pirates

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, k7cw@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Great idea -- Kudos to Grid Pirates
From: John Geiger <aa5jg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:51:36 -0800 (PST)
I agree with the statements about "cheating" "the intent of the rules" and so
forth and how open logs won't stop it, but I for one do not especially want
open logs for each contest.  3 main reasons why:1

1. We haven't had open logs yet, which is now coming up on 50 years or so, and
everything seems to be going just fine.  What is broken that open logs will
fix?  If you want to see another station's log for strategy or propagation
study, ask them for it.  Most would be willing to share.

2. Having open logs won't encourage anyone else to participate, but it might
discourage some, for whatever reason.  There seems to be a hypersensitivity in
America right now to the "right to privacy".  I don't understand it, but it is
there.  Do we really want to do anything that will discourage people from
participating in a VHF/UHF contest?

3. It will potentially cheapen the VUCC program.  That is one reason why the
ARRL in general wasn't supportive of on-line logs that included time of QSO
when it came to DXCC credit.  A couple of years ago I was W5TD.  Now W5TDN is
another big 6m op.  Suppose I go through the published log, find his QSOs, and
send QSLs for them trying to convince the other station that he busted my call
and actually worked me.  After all, I have the correct QSO time (obtained from
the log).

I think this idea raises several problems and solves none.

73s John AA5JG