Re: [VHFcontesting] Great idea -- Kudos to Grid Pirates

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Great idea -- Kudos to Grid Pirates
From: kr7o@vhfdx.com
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:18:30 -0800
I love how we are all presumed guilty unless we prove otherwise.  For
anyone here so bent on judging the logs, please contact KX9X and volunteer
to be on the log checking group.

At 04:39 PM 12/4/2008 -0800, you wrote:
>You guys kill me. You know, it's awfully hard to sit here reading about
>all this conjured up evilness, deception and blatant disregard for the
>"intent" of the rules without jumping in. So, here I am, since I couldn't
>hold back any longer. I know there are many others who agree with me, but
>I would be willing to bet that they can't see the point in getting into it
>on here now when people continue to not understand after all these months
>of bellyaching.
>
>Publishing the logs will do absolutely nothing towards ridding you of the
>tactics of the grid circlers and other "offenders." It's obvious what they
>are doing. And it's equally as obvious that they are within the rules as
>they do it. Seeing their logs won't change that.

If someone CHOOSES to post their logs, great!  BTW, one of N6NB's guys did
a few years ago.

>Regarding the real topic, open logs:
>I think there should be open logs. After all, this is a competition. One
>could ask how he should be able to modify his own tactics in order to
>compete better if he couldn't analyze his competition's tactics. You'd
>have to be able to see who they worked and when on each band. Knowing the
>transmission modes they used might turn out to be of great value, I think.
>I think that if the ARRL has good reasons for not publishing the logs,
>they should state them in the rules and then everybody move on. (I have a
>hunch that this situation has a lot more to do with the expense of it than
>it does with anything else.)

A  year ago or so back, the ARRL posted a ruling stating something to the
effect that,  published, online logs with complete contact info in them
would invalidate those contacts for awards.  Don't have the ruling handy,
nor have time to search it out.

BTW, if someone really wanted to cheat, they could take the logs, find a
bunch of guys that only showed up in a few logs for the last few contests
and add them to their log.  They would likely not set off any triggers for
the log checkers, because they (the casual responders) probably wont turn
in a log and will likely not be unique, because others have worked them.

73, Robert KR7O/YB2ARO, DM07ba/OI52ee  (ex.  N7STU)
kr7o@vhfdx.com

www.vhfdx.com (KR7O/YB2ARO homepages)