Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF logs made public

To: "'VHF'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF logs made public
From: "Chet, N8RA" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 21:17:10 -0500
I see open logs as a mixed bag.

On the plus side, seeing other?s log details can have these benefits:

It has the possibility of reducing cheating. But all logs would have to be
made open for this to work.
It could help you understand why another station scored as they did to help
you decide whether they are really ?your? competition or not.
It could provide further incentive to improve the quality of operating and
logging if all could see your claimed vs. final published score. Golden logs
vs. crummy ones
Provides more insight into what areas your competitor beat you in; this can
be motivation to keep looking for another few dB, or adding another band.
(Scanning the QSO and Mult breakdowns per band in the ARRL scores database
does allow that too.)

But public logs would also reveal:

When did I CQ vs. S&P, or both?
How often do I change beam direction?
When was I on which band?
How often did I change bands?
Which grids produced the most contacts and on which bands?
Did I work WSJT? If so, who did I work?  And on which band? And at what time
of day?
When was the best time to catch those VE2 multipliers?
Did I sleep? If so, when did I start up again?
How does the rate vary throughout the day?

Anyone can learn all those things on their own if willing to put in the
effort; why would I want to hand out my hard-learned strategies and tactics
to any armchair or deep-pockets competitors? I do consider contest station
building and operating as serious fun, but I do openly trade stories and
projects and tips with competitors on the air, in person, or in one to one
e-mail- that is fun too. But to just put out the log for open analysis by
anyone, anywhere, anytime has a different feel to it. Am I kidding myself
that I am developing better strategies? Maybe, but that is part of what
keeps me coming back again and again to beat my head against the wall, and
to love doing so.

Just my 2 cents, (probably only worth 1 ½ now?)

73, hope to CU in January, where I want to contact lots of stations in lots
of grids!!
Chet, N8RA