Re: [VHFcontesting] Common rover frequency

To: W8ZN@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Common rover frequency
From: "Steve Clifford" <k4gun.r@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:21:07 -0500
Yup... being a low power station (160ish watts on 144) means its not easy to
grab attention.  The big gun stations you mention, plus W3SO, W4IY (in June
and Sept), YTL and a number of others are easy to find when you're doing
S&P.  They all have good ops who are easy to follow up the bands.  The
problem is what to do when you're done with all the usual suspects.

I've used 144.200 before, but I avoid it for a few different reasons.
First, K8GP usually sets up within 3 kc of that and anybody within 50 miles
of them can't be heard over top of the spatter.  I also know a lot of ops
will not answer a contest CQ on the national calling frequencies.  They feel
that is for making regular contacts and then QSY for a ragchew.  Right or
wrong, I've heard that from a number of ops so I stay off them.

The nature of roving is different than base stations when it comes to
calling.  Due to the logistics of antenna placement, its not practical to
have more than one operator on the air at a time.  Most rovers only have the
ability to have a single op on anyway.  When a contact is made, the first
thing that happens is both parties QSY to other bands and that leaves the
original 2 meter frequency open until he finishes running up and down.

Because of that, it would seem that having several rovers using the same
frequency for coordination would be of minimal disruption.  The beneift
would be that everybody else would know where to start looking for the
rovers.

Now... there is an exception to this.  If there is any propogation on 2
meters, all of this goes out the window.  That's when a rover can sit on a
single frequency and work a pile-up.  That's not an appropriate use of a
rover calling frequency.  If there's tropo or Es, find a clear spot and call
away for as long as you can.

I'm still thinking 144.245 for this, but if somebody thinks 260 or 240 are a
better idea, I'm all for it.

Steve
K4GUN/R