Re: [VHFcontesting] Lunch box roving

To: Jim Forsyth <mail@jimforsyth.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Lunch box roving
From: Steve Clifford <k4gun.r@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:29:46 -0500
That's not a negative light.  Its simply an observation.  Did she build the
station?  Did she test the antennas?  Did she put in the switches?  Did she
search and pounce or call CQ or did she just follow the pre-set directions
about which frequency she needed to be on?

I'm sure she's a brilliant person.  I don't dispute her rapid learning
curve.  I also don't question your intellect.  There's no insult to observe
that neither you nor she did anything other than follow a group, using
borrowed equipment that you had no part in developing and that your success
is due to nothing more than being associated with N6NB.  For that
association, you'll all get your callsign listed in QST.

Do I think any of you should be in conventional rover categories?
Absolutely not.  Pretending that you have done anything special as
individuals is ridiculous.  N6NB has done something remarkable and I'm sure
he had help in putting it all together, but in the end, its his operation.
Its a multi-op program that is allowed under the current rules to report as
individual rovers.  I think that's wrong.

Finally, I think a disservice has been done to a new operator.  W6TAI may
well be gifted and could have a bright future with VHF contesting.  The
truth is though, that she will likely have the highest score as a Limited
Rover without ever having put a station together.  Don't you see anything
wrong with that?

Steve