[VHFcontesting] Grid Squaring and Scoring Changes

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Grid Squaring and Scoring Changes
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 19:57:03 -0700
Bruce - You make some good points and I think your input on this is
valuable as you have considerable experience both roving in the VHF/
UHF contests and going portable in the 10 GHz contests.

After giving it some thought, my thinking is that a minimum distance
around 50 miles might be appropriate. This distane was not chosen at
random.

1. It is beyond line of sight for simple radios, thereby eliminating
the easy or trivial repetition of QSOs.

2. At normal speeds of travel in all kinds of situations, it is about
an hour or a significant fraction of an hour. This reduces the
possibility of  a pair of stations parking on a frequency and making a
QSOe very 10 minutes. So it encourages people to work other people.

3. It is about half the horizontal distance of a grid square and
squares things up.

Anyway, that was my initial thinking. - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey