[VHFcontesting] distance contest

To: "James Duffey" <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] distance contest
From: "Todd Dravland-WD0T" <wd0t@mncomm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:01:16 -0600
Duffey,

You make some very good points, and I agree with you... However, it seems most
are thinking along the lines of modifying an existing contest to test the
distance based scoring... WHY??

WHY cannot we as a group come up with a contest or contests to try this out
with?? I don't think we need the BIG sponsors in right away, nor do we probably
need them until this is a proven deal. And that is also probably why they are
reluctant, they have enough contests already in HF/ VHF, various modes, etc..
and don't wish to take on an unproven event.

How about we do something similar to the Spring Sprints,  but use distance
scoring??  And I'm not talking about modifying the Spring Sprints OR ANY other
contest, leave them alone..

Do something like summer or fall sprints, or whenever, but use the distance
scoring in those events to test this out.  Or make a longer event, ANOTHER
contest, 24 hours, perhaps during the spring.

Look at folks like the NCCC who do the Cal QSO party, or the Texas QSO party
folks, or now the 7 land QSO party, hugely successful events all of them, and
not sponsored by CQ, NCJ, QST . Plenty of awards and great events, just check
the websites.

Ok, so we can form the NA VHF Distance Challenge or whatever you want to call
it.  This group, right here, can make this happen.

Enough from me, 73 Todd WD0T