Re: [VHFcontesting] Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Endorse Rover Rules Revisions EXCEPT the 30 Q Limit
From: "gmills@frontiernet.net" <gmills@frontiernet.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:39:17 -0500
Hello all,

My rover runs usually entail hitting the shore grids around Lake
Ontario, and sometimes EN93/94 and/or FN25. We start either in the
EN's, or in FN04 north of the lake, running up to 12 bands, depending
on if anybody from Rochester will have 24, 47, 81 GHz, etc. The route
is typically clockwise.

I live south of Rochester, in FN12EX, where we end the contest.
Sometimes we go a little west to finish in FN02 and/or FN03.

While driving around the lake, we are in FN03 and FN13 north of the
lake, and then back in those grids south of the lake. The New York
State Thruway (route 90) weaves in and out of FN12 and FN13 between
Syracuse and Rochester. I have seen on the GPS receiver where Route 81
(roughly 1000 islands to Syracuse) weaves between FN23 and FN13.

This makes it near impossible to adhere to the proposed "in a grid
once" rule. It may have been last June, during a 6m opening, that my
roving partner would start a Q in one grid, get halfway through in
another, and finish in the original. It was kind of funny "FN23... no
wait FN13... oops FN23".

Rover Q's: in September we ran in to a couple of rovers in FN04. We
did 30+ Q's with them in 15 minutes, as they zipped from FN04 down to
FN03. I'm sure we worked them a bunch more times too as we hit the
corners... not to mention the other rovers running route 90, the QEW,
or 81.

My points:
Routes between grids may weave in and out of already activated grids.
You never know when you will see other rovers, with dozens of easy Q's.

I suppose I could have saved typing this (and deleting my other rant
filled emails) by saying: "I'm running unlimited, and will talk to
anybody any time."

No logs in digital format sorry... we don't take a laptop, so the
paper logs are sitting on something keeping the dust out of it.

Greg - K2LDT