Re: [VHFcontesting] My Proposal to the VUAC

To: w4wa@windstream.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] My Proposal to the VUAC
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:20:39 -0700
On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 02:25:25PM -0400, Ron Hooper wrote:
> Kennith
>
> I think Marshall's proposal was for adding an assisted category not
> eliminating the categories we have now.
> >From the way your comments read, it appears you believe EVERYONE will start
> operating as an assisted station. Can you clarify if I understood this
> correctly?

I think Marshall's concept of "assistance" is at odds with how that term is
normally used in HF contesting.  In HF contesting, assistance has traditional
referred to the passive use of a spotting network.  What Marshall is
suggesting goes way, way beyond that, and I think he's using the term
"assistance" because he knows that term is widely used to describe an
accepted operaitng practice in HF.  If he calls it "assisted", it must not
be that bad, right?

However, what he is arguing for is the ability to do things that are
currently prohibited for all entrants for all major HF (and VHF) contests.
Those changes would radically change how the top, competitive stations
operate the contest, and would have a serious negative impact on the
contest.

> You mentioned that you have operated at HF multi-op stations. Is that where
> you operated assisted to have formed the basis for your comments?

I have operated in a lot of different categories in a lot of different
contests:  http://www.wm5r.org/contest/

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com