[VHFcontesting] My Proposal to the VUAC

To: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>, VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] My Proposal to the VUAC
From: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:34:07 -0600
Hi Kenneth....If you enjoy that kind of operating, I am wholeheartedly
in favor of you continuing to operate in that way.  I don't want to take
anything away from the guys that like to operate in that fashion.  Go
for it!

It is very telling to me that the S&P operators want to take away from
me the way that I and many others want to operate.  We want to make as
many contacts as possible considering the station that we have and the
propagation that exists.  We don't want to spend the entire contest
bumbling around hoping that we will "bump into" another station in a
grid that we have not worked.

You have the HF Philosophy, while I and many others have the VHF
Philosophy.  It is just a difference in point of view and philosophy.
You will never be convinced that what I want, for myself and others, is
acceptable--and that is OK as you would have your own class in which to
participate.  I just want a class in which I may participate.  I / we
believe that you WORK a station when you exchange the required QSO
elements over the radio.  That is the definition of a contact.  All this
other business about how you FOUND the other station is just a huge "red
herring".

In answer to your question about new stations, they have access to the
same prop loggers / reflectors that the rest of have.  In this last EME
contest, there were many, many small(some very small) stations that
could be worked because of the N0UK EME reflector.  Small stations could
find the big stations and then call where the big stations were
listening....sometimes for several minutes.  Eventually, the big station
would pick them up and work them.  Such a contact would never occur if
everyone was tuning around trying to find the really weak ones to work.
This allows the smaller stations to participate in the contest(when
otherwise they could not) up to the capability of their stations.  The
small station gets a contact that he would never otherwise get and the
big station gets a few points too.  I cannot see this in any other way
than a WIN-WIN situation.

73 Marshall K5QE