Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Changes to ARRL VHF Contest Rules

To: "Nate Duehr" <nate@natetech.com>, "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Changes to ARRL VHF Contest Rules
From: "R. Michael West" <k6nc@saciplaw.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 02:00:00 +0000
I like the new rules, and the clarification regarding the Limited Rover class.
Thank you ARRL and the hard working people who made it possible.

There is a good reason for keeping the Limited Rover class limited to the lower
four bands: Simplification. Why create yet another class of operation where
there are inherent variables in the bands of operation, and yet more room for
complaining about lack of a "level playing field"?

Those who want to operate on 902 and above can do so, in the Classic or
Unlimited Rover classes, and they can have lots of fun doing it. What's the
matter - can't you compete in those classes? Stop complaining and compete.

I suspect that the Limited Multi-Operator Band Rules were not changed because
there was no reason to do so. Those of us who have competed in that class know
about the trade-offs between 222 and 1296 operation, and we're not
grid-circling, either. In short, the circumstances for that class of operation
are different from those faced by Rovers.

Regarding the ARRL's change of rule procedure, there are those who would
criticize because they are too slow in changing rules and those who criticize
because they moved too fast. Please, cut them some slack.

73, Mike K6NC