[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Changes to ARRL VHF Contest Rules

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Changes to ARRL VHF Contest Rules
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 21:11:01 -0600
Nate - You wrote:
"To be ultra-clear here.... I've already won the Rocky Mountain
Division unlimited rover category twice in 2006 & 2007.

Well to be "ultra clear" there was no unlimited rover category in 2006
and 2007. It was just the rover category, which you won. The old rover
category with everyone competing with everyone else.

"My concern is the NEW rovers, of which we only see one or two a year
in my area. This change may have helped them against an "all
microwave" rover working with a TEAM of other rovers and fixed
stations, but they will ALWAYS lose to any such organized group.
Forcing them to buy 222 if they already had 902, 1.2, or even 10 GHz
did nothing to change that fact."

I suspect that most new rovers will start with 3 or fewer bands. That
is how I started. I don't see this rule hindering newcomers. In fact,
the new Limited Rover" category has not generated much new activity at
all. Most of the limited rovers are those that previously competed in
the Rover (now known as the Classic Rover) category. They just moved
down to the new category.

"Imagine the uproar if the same limitations were also imposed on the
Limited Multi-ops with similar stations as listed above?"

Two points, the Rover and Fixed categories have little in common other
than they are part of the same contest. What is best for the rover
category is not a priori best for the fixed class and vice versa. In
fact, the limited multiple category may well have been a poor choice
for the same reason as the Limited Rover, it discourages people to go
beyond 4 bands. It doesn't encourage new activity, it just trasnsfers
entrants from the old multi category to the limited category.  - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey