[VHFcontesting] (no subject)

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] (no subject)
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:47:05 -0700
Hold on Jim,

I confused you. There is no one handing out bogus QSOs as a strategy.  I’m glad
to see you are a bit upset at the thought of such an idea.  That being said
there are no good tools to stop it and the rules are not explicitly  on where a
normal log ends and a check log or if they are 2 separate logs or one log.

Cases in the past have demonstrated that an un-witted sole accidentally did not
create a check log when working people beyond boundaries of their entry
category.  In the case of the caravan you worked with, did they submit a check
log for the qsos outside the 4 bands the limited rovers had aboard their
vehicles?  Did they choose not to transmit beyond four bands per limited rover?
  It would have been prudent under the current lack of clarity or ethical
backing of the intent of the rules they encourage (that’s what the ARRL is
doing, can’t they do better?)  have all the limited rovers help the one
unlimited on all 10 bands and check log the 6 extra bands.  I don’t remember
seeing check logs in the summary, so I will assume Wayne broke his stations
apart and they all stayed on 4 bands.  Its just the gal with the microwave gear
that won due to using microwaves in stead of the low bands on qsos made across
the same distance as her team mates.

You are friends with Wayne, Invite him hear to hash it out. I doubt if it would
ever happen, I would just rather give the fruits of his efforts over to the
guys who want the spectrum and let the FCC decide the value.  Its really
selfish of the league to hord bandwidth for just a few people.  Kind of like
the NRA wanting to legalize a 50 round clip for deer hunting.  If you can’t
shoot something with five bullets, you lack the skill or the judgment to make a
shot.  And yes I believe in the 2nd amendment, but we can’t all own tanks……..

Again no one is sending out bogus qsos it was an example of a way one might
bend the rules.  I would never do that in the pacific northwest and gas is too
expensive to do it to you guys down there. Besides you know my call.