Re: [VHFcontesting] (no subject)

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] (no subject)
From: N6FD <n6fd@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 22:17:24 -0700
Zack,

Have you thought about publishing your designs and design philosophy?  I
for one would be very interested in seeing how you did it.  I have been
trying to design something similar, but have not yet started building.
You can answer either via the reflector or e-mail.

Thanks for raising the S/N on the reflector.

Erich, N6FD

Zack Widup wrote:
> I have been working on putting together microwave equipment for my
> station for 7 or 8 years now. Each of my working transverters has cost me
> maybe $150 per band. It's not so much the cost as the time
> involved. Everything built from scratch, including the circuit boards. I've
> kept constant watch on eBay looking for Duroid board material and other
> parts to do this. I've put together transverters for 903 through 10368 MHz
> and I'm working on 24, 47 and 78 GHz. I have to build two of each
> transverter for 47 and 78 GHz just so I can use one to align and tune the
> other.
>
> I started off with the basic transverters, then decided I need phase-locked
> LO's and spent several years and several generations of circuits getting
> that down so it worked to my satisfaction. Constant added improvements so I
> could change bands rapidly. I also had to accumulate test gear necessary to
> align and tune all this stuff.

[snip]