[VHFcontesting] Logging

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Logging
From: "Kevin Hobbs" <ve3kh@cogeco.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:29:25 -0400
Hi Gang;

Hopefully this topic is acceptable.

Like many of you, I have been primarily on VHF and up for many years now.
Contest logging programs have come and gone over the years and I am sure
that some of my log entries have slipped through the cracks. I have found it
increasingly more painful to keep track of contest scores combined with day
to day logging and historical awards / grid tracking. For a number of years
now I have used a homebrew Excel Spreadsheet with many columns and a macro
that populates most of the routine columns for me. I tend to use RoverLog
for each contest and then try to import that into my master spreadsheet. For
day to day logging my spreadsheet lacks some features like QRZ lookup, beam
heading, previous contacts, etc. I also can't tell how many total unique
grids or countries I have worked by band. I really like RoverLog, but it
doesn't seem like a good choice for day to day stuff as there isn't a notes
field, qsl, etc. I also own a copy of Hosenose Logic 8. I tried to use this
program many years ago (version 4) and although it seems powerful, the setup
just wasn't intuitive for me. I loaded up Logic8 prior to the contest, and
again it just seemed like the learning curve to customize this to my needs
was going to be more like a career than a quick job. So, my big question is,
how are you guys handling this?

73 de Kevin VE3KH