Re: [VHFcontesting] next step in 432

To: "'Steve Sala'" <k7awb@msn.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] next step in 432
From: "Mike & Becca Krzystyniak" <k9mk@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:46:52 -0500
Steve,

    Is this for mobile (rover) or at home??  If the latter and you are not
concerned about doing a little building (mods mostly), do not discount an
old tube amp like the AM6155 amps.  They can be found pretty cheap these
days and are super easy to get running on 432.  For as little as a couple
hundred bucks you can get 300+ watts out of them.   I have heard claims of
over 400 watts+ but that might be a stretch.   My upgrade path went from a
100W brick, to a AM6155, and now I'm using an old Henry 2004.  The cost of
stepping up to a Henry or Lunar Link amp can be significant.  Consider your
antenna too.  3-6 dB of incremental antenna gain or a super low loss
feedline might be more cost effective than the amp...

73's

Mike K9MK