[VHFcontesting] Battery question

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Battery question
From: "Bill Burgess" <ve3cru@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:08:46 -0400
I started off roving with the club's old Honda 1400w generator, worked well but
was getting too heavy to lift in and out of the vehicle in many isolated
operating positions.  If I put my back out trying to lift it back in, a major
problem.  Took the battery route, using two Canadian Tire marine deep cycle
batteries at $200 each.   Think true capacity is 50 amps stated on them.
These batteries will not put out 13.8 volts, like many others so at best you
are running with less than full output and it drops according to usage.  I have
never tampered with the electrical system in my Toyota Sienna LE 2004
Rovermobile, operate nothing from it except the GPS.

Bought a dozen pulls at $10 each, 51 amps deep cycle from a police
communications center, nice to have the added capacity.   Two years later, they
are failing badly, time to scrap.  Still keep the $200 ones.

This spring I bought a Honda EU2000i, best investment I have made.  It does
have the option of low voltage for battery charging but you cannot use this
feature and have 120V at the same time.   So I use the Cdn Tire charger made
for their marine battery and others, on 120 volts with charge options of 2, 10
and 15 amps rate for selected lead acid, deep cycle or AGM, gel cell.  Brand
name is Nautilus, same as the batteries.  Cost about $99 when purchased.

The Honda EU1000i and EU2000i both have an ECOnomy switch, that allows you to
run the generator at low rpm for lighter loads, to save gas and reduce the
noise even further that will kick into high revs if sensing a heavy load, to
maintain needed power.  Weight of the EU2000i is less than 50 pounds dry, and
fully fuelled is no risk to the back lifting with one hand.

For those roving in northern climates, you can run a small  heater off the
generator rather than keep the vehicle running.
Good for those of us who park and call, not so for those run and gun rovers who
are usually mobile.

The EU2000i in suburban Toronto cost $1,580 including all taxes our government
kindly bestows on us.

BTW bought a China made 1 kw year ago, total garbage.   You get what you pay
for.  Think was $199 on sale.

Whatever your choice, opt for full performance for the entire contest.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU ...........often /R