[VHFcontesting] Linemaster Foot Switches

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "Alabama Contest Group" <contest@alabamacontestgroup.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Linemaster Foot Switches
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:32:41 -0600
After having a foot switch failure during the January VHF Contest, I went
looking for something beyond the cheap, plastic foot switches commonly sold at
ham radio stores for this application. A friend suggested the “Linemaster” line
of industrial foot switches, with a specific recommendation for their “Clipper”
model.

http://www.linemaster.com/

These high quality foot switches are made from solid, cast iron metal, with
specially designed micro switches that can withstand the roughest possible
treatment. Many of their models are sealed for use in dirty environments, and
rated with cycle lives in the millions. The cost for brand new models is very
reasonable ranging from $40 and up. Even better, these switches are common
items on sites like Ebay.com and sell for very reasonable prices.

I just purchased both a single Clipper footswitch and a “dual footswitch” to
handle keying and sequencing for my 6 Meter, 2 Meter, and 432 stations. While I
haven’t tried them in out in contest conditions yet, I fully expect these to be
available in my estate sale decades from now! If you want a foot switch that
can take the punishment and not give out on you during a contest, look for the
Linemaster line.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf