Re: [VHFcontesting] ROVER WITH 80 FOOT TOWER!

To: Jerry <jer.sieg@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ROVER WITH 80 FOOT TOWER!
From: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 23:28:54 +0100
Hello to everyone....with the help of a ham friend, we purchased two of
the TV News vans with the 48ft Wil-Burt masts.  We took one of them to
the ill-fated DL88 DXpedition last year.  Pictures are on the Grid
Bandits web site.  The ones that we got have 6KW Onan generators in
them....although they are wired for 120VAC only.  There are 2 very nice
19" rack panels where you can mount your gear.

As someone mentioned, the vans were pretty well run out with mileages of
250K and 280K.  It took about $2500 to fix them up into decent shape and
to put some tires on one of them.  The mast seals are a bit leaky, but
the masts do work.  We are fixing one of them up as a rover.  It should
be a real cool rover for 6M thru 3456MHz.  The other one we will
probably use for DXpeditions.

For anyone interested in a really great rover or a DXpedition vehicle,
these are really a great way to go.  Of course, you may find one that is
complete junk, but you could always offer them $150 and just take out
the Wil-Burt mast and junk the rest.  You will still be WAY ahead....

I would say that if you are interested in this approach, you should look
far and wide.  Send letters to the larger TV stations within about
300miles of you.  Tell them to keep your letter in case a van should be
"declared surplus"....

73 Marshall K5QE