Re: [VHFcontesting] Design for a 6M Rover Yagi...

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Design for a 6M Rover Yagi...
From: David Muller <dm5957@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 15:55:19 -0400
I found that supporting the Mini Horse antenna designed by SM0DTK
http://hem.passagen.se/sm0dtk/
on two crossed and bowed 8-foot wood strips, set in plywood blocks,
I could fit the folded wire 6 meter, 3 el beam in a 4' x 7' rectangle--just
fine for roving.
That's only a little deeper than the Moxon I have used.

I use vinyl tubing slipped over the ends of the strips to anchor the corners.
Releasing
two corners, I can swing the strips parallel for easy transport if I want to
take the antenna down.
So far, although it looks fragile, it has handled 55 mph on country roads, and
an encounter
with a tree branch mere slipped off a corner tube, no damage.

Cut to design dimensions, I get nearly flat SWR and wide bandwidth.  Haven't
measured the gain,
but it seems respectable.  While its only 3 elements, its ready to go without
any set-up.
For some rovers, it might fit the need.

73,

David AB2YI