Re: [VHFcontesting] Need help with Cushcraft A50-3S - high SWR

To: "'ejh'" <wm3m@live.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Need help with Cushcraft A50-3S - high SWR
From: "Chet S" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 17:00:45 -0500
Emory,

That's got to be frustrating! I have a couple of those antennas and got them
working OK, so I wonder what's up with yours. Some thoughts in no particular
order:

What else could be going on? Connect the roof end of your feedline to a 50
ohm dummy load and check the swr in the shack. If it is 1:1 then you know
that this coax and connectors and swr meter are OK.

The gamma aluminum tubes are not supposed to make physical contact. The
small one should have some insulating plastic material on it. They provide a
variable capacitance by sliding one tube in or out of the other.

If you are using a meter at the antenna to adjust it, use a coax jumper that
is close to a half wavelegth long (physical length times velocity factor to
equal a half wavelength). Some meters don't read right if right at the
antenna connector because of the strong field there. A few feet back is much
better, but if that jumper is a quarter wave or odd multiple therof the
readings can get screwy as you play with the gamma.

With a problem like this it is easier to work with it on the ground if that
is still possible. Point the antenna straight up with the director a few
feet above the ground. Lash the boom to a pole or suspend the antenna from a
tree branch or something. Start out with everything reset to the factory
dimensions. What I do is keep the "tuning strap" tight enough to make
contact but loose enough to still be able to move the larger tube of the
gamma arm in or out. Mark the position of the tuning strap on the driven
element tubing. Measure the Swr, and then move the larger tube in a bit over
the small tube and its insulator without changing the position of the tuning
strap on the driven element and see if the swr got better. If it did, go a
little more, if not go out instead. Write down these readings, especially
the lowest one. Then change where the tuning strap is on the driven element
by a half inch or so and repeat the process of fiddling with the gmma tube.
Were you able to get the swr lower? If so keep going in that direction with
the tuning strap, if not then move the tuning strap back the other way. I
think you get the idea. But if you have to go way different on the factory
lengths, then something eles is wrong.

When you get the antenna set right, the swr will be good over a large
portion of the band, like under 1.5 to 1 from 50.0 to 50.8. If the swr is
only good in a very narrow portion, something is still not right.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

73
Chet, N8RA