Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving / Portable

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving / Portable
From: beamar <beamar@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:03:27 -0400
My portable setup is something that happened over a period of time, with no
master plan, at the start. What it has evolved into is an umbrella base ($5 at
a hamfest), with three sections of 1" TV type extension mast, four feet long,
for the mast. I have a dipole for 6M, a M2 7 element for 2M, a M2 18 element
for 70 cm and an M2 35 element for 23 cm. I realize that the M2 23 cm yagi
probably is not as good as a loop yaghi, but it is more survivable, than a LY,
being hauled around in the back of a Toyota Prius. Also, I found that rear
mount antennas made my mast lean over, so I went to all center mount antennas.
If my car got totaled with all the antennas in it, I would start from scratch,
with the Directive Systems Rover antennas. I use wing nuts on all the U bolts
and crimp type coax connectors.

I bought an Aluminum tripod with two mast sections, at a hamfest, for $50, for
my 5760 gear. I weight down each leg with a "stone" that I purchased at the
garden department, at Home Depot. This has worked out well. I would probably go
with something like this, for the lower bands, if my umbrella base were lost.

The setup, described above, minus the 6 and 2 meter antennas, will be deployed
as W4FWS/4 (multiop), EM91hb, Jekyll Island, GA, during the August UHF contest.
We will be operating, from the beach and will have a clear shot up and down the
coast.

Put some thought into it, Mike. Maybe you will get it right on the first pass.
--
Buddy WB4OMG