Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving / Portable

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Roving / Portable
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:07:37 -0500
I have spent a lot of time playing with Yagi Optimizer trying to get the
best looking designs for Yagis on various bands. I built antennas that I
could remove the elements from to carry in the car and put together rapidly
in the field. My antennas for 50 through 432 MHz are all built on 1 inch
square aluminum booms. All of them are on 12 or 13 foot booms that are in
two pieces.

My 50 MHz Yagi is a 4 element design by VE3BFM that is on a 13 foot boom.
The 144 MHz antenna is 6 elements on a 12 foot boom. The 222 MHz antenna is
8 elements on a 12 foot boom. The 432 antenna is 15 elements on a 12 foot
boom.

The elements for the 6 meter beam are 5/16 inch diameter aluminum tubing.
For all the other bands, the elements are 3/16 inch solid aluminum. The
elements all pass through the square boom through holes close to one side
of the boom (not centered). A screw through that closest side holds each
element in place. Each driven element is mounted on pieces of acrylic
plastic that is bolted to each boom at the appropriate place. I think the
most expensive part of each antenna was the aluminum tubing used for the
boom. They were all far less expensive than any commercially made Yagi.

I can assemble or disassemble each antenna in 10 minutes or less. They've
worked very well for me.

73, Zack W9SZ