Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion

To: John Geiger <af5cc@fidmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion
From: Jack W6NF <vhfplus@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 21:49:53 -0500
On 9/17/2013 8:47 PM, John Geiger wrote:
If you stack 4 of those elements, and it is omnidirectional, then the gain has to come from somewhere. Where does it come from? It would probably compress the take off angle, but in terms of beamwidth gain relative to a Yagi, it couldn't have any.

It wouldn't allow you to null out noise coming from a specific direction, which can be useful also.

73 John AF5CC

The gain of a yagis the result of "compression" of the vertical and horizontal planes of the antenna. The horizontal loop does the same in only the vertical plane. In the vertical plane additional gain does come from further narrowing of the E field and adds a bit more than 2.5db per doubling of the number of bays in the system.

M2, for example, specifies this for their 2-meter HO Loop:

Gain, Typical @ 10 ft. ................ 4 dBd @ 10 deg

That gain would remain the same and the radiation angle should be decreased as the antenna height is increased, as is the case with a yagi.

As I indicated in another reply, I believe the predominant component of power line noise is vertically polarized, which gives the horizontal loop some immunity. I recognize that there is no front-to-back or front-to-side rejection to help minimize QRN but the loop stack at least allows one to have modest gain in all directions to enhance the probability of actually hearing someone otherwise inaudible in the nulls of even a smaller yagi.

Jack, W6NF/VE4
Shelley, K7MKL/VE4