Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion

To: BEAMAR@aol.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion
From: Rhinosix <rhinosix@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:14:37 -0400 (EDT)
I'm one of those loop people but my 6 meter loop is a open 3 - 1/2 wave length loop in a inverted delta configuration. It gives me 4 db in two directions and is very quit which is great for the digital modes. I agree the 6 meter dipole cut for the low end of the band has to be a lot better than any HF tribander maybe even one with a passive 6 meter director. I have worked the Canary Islands with just a dipole. I have a moxon on 6 meters too. Its 5 db gain and 20 db front to back. So two loops or two moxons 90 degrees apart will save you the cost and bother of a rotor. They also work well at one wave length (20ft) above ground. A coax switch is quicker than a 180 degree turn of a rotor. Currently putting up a 6 meter H Doublebay (slot) antenna. If it works well I will put up a Four bay version on 2 meters. Helps to have some tall trees in the back yard.
Jerry, W2JCN