Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations
From: GeorgeF <av8tor@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 17:12:21 -0500
Actually I did JT65 and FSK441 on 2 meters and made a far number of Meteor Scatter Q's on 2m FSK and a few 2m JT65 EME Q's Also I had high power on 2 meters, running nearly 350 watts from a Tokyo HyPower amp. When there is no one on the air all the power in the world won't help.

I made a lot of 144 CW and SSB Q's in the about 7 years I was on that mode. But over the last couple years the trend kept going down and down. I had to ask myself, why do I have an Icom IC-910, nice antenna and Tokyo amp to make a couple q's a month? Just my 2 meter setup a long was about $3000, now without the IC-910 on the market or the Tokyo amp I would have to spend $5000 for a setup of the same or better quality. When there is no one on the air all the money in the world won't help.

Kinda funny (really not) story about 6 meters. I did a lot of contesting and took 1st place for my ARRL section in several contests with a loop antenna running a kW (ACOM 1000 amp). Then I thought I was in heaven when I got my first 6 meter 3 element yagi (thanks N9HF for helping build it). Shortly after putting up the yagi I worked my first JA on 6 meter CW. It was a good 6mtr DX week, worked several new countries, worked several new countries on HF that week too. I have 205 DXCC countries worked, not bad for only being active about 7 years. Well I had a bunch of QSL's ready to go out including the 6mtr JA. When sending DX QSL's I always included a few dollars in the envelopes to help with postage. I had about 10 or say envelopes waiting to go out just sitting on my desk for a month. Well I decided, what the heck am I doing, opened up the cards and put the cash back in my wallet. Needless to say, never sent the JA card but that was the same time I was starting to get fed up with lack of activity over the long haul, yeah the short haul is good but with over $10k invested in a ham shack you have to start to think, is it really worth it......

That's my story, you're welcome to yours,
George
www.MilAirComms.com