Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

To: "'VHF Contesting Reflector'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations
From: "Roger Thawley" <Roger@G0BSU.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 21:10:54 -0000
>From this side of the 'pond' I don't have a comprehensive view of things
already done in the US, to increase VHF+ activity, so my apologies if I'm
covering ground which has already been covered....
Something we've done over here, which has had a good degree of success in
boosting VHF+ activity, is introduce a series of 'Activity Contests', which
run, all year round, on a Tuesday evening from 2000 thru 2230 local time.
These contests cover 2M, 70cm, 23cm, 6M and 4M (70Mhz).
1st Tuesday of the month is 2M, 2nd is 70cm, 3rd is 23cm, 4th is 6M and
where a month has a 5th Tuesday the band is 4M. Until recently no commercial
SSB transceivers were available, so general activity is low on 4M - as such,
the limited number of 5th Tuesdays fits with the lower number of active
stations.
Contests operate on a point per kilometre worked basis with grid squares
acting as multipliers.
For a snapshot of activity levels you can visit the RSGB VHF Contest page
here - http://www.rsgbcc.org/vhf/ see the contests described as 'UKAC' for
Tuesday evening events.
These events have proven to be highly popular, likely because they are
during the week and don't interfere with folks 'domestic time' over the
weekend.

Roger, G0BSU

-----
No virus found in this message.