Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations
From: beamar <beamar@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 16:09:22 -0500
On Feb 10, 2014, at 3:49:01 PM, "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com> wrote:

How many amateurs would really care if we lose our allocation at 3 GHz?
The answer to the question posed above is very few. But, that may not always be
the case. The following text is a quote from a presentation on weak signal work
that I gave at a recent hamfest:

"Put hams on 200M and down! In 1912, the frequencies above 1500 KHz were
considered useless. Amateur Radio got 40M as a band, in 1924. Reading the DX
column, in the January 1925 issue of QST, it seems that no frequency above 75M
was considered to be useful for DX. Hams got 10M in, 1927. It was the early
1940s, before anyone considered it useful. In 1946, many hams referred to 2M as
a “flashlight” band. That is, propagation was akin to light waves. In 1969,
when I was licensed, 2M was considered to be the highest frequency band that
was useful for communications. “You can?t talk anywhere on 220 MHz”, I was
told.  In 1979, when I bought my first 440 FM radio, I was told , “You can?t
talk very far on 440”. Now days, many Radio Amateurs thinks it takes the
resources of a governmental agency or a telephone company to successfully
communicate above 450 MHz."
So, following the trend, as outlined in my P/P presentation. It will probably
be another twenty to forty years, before the average ham considers 3 Gigs to be
useful.

Buddy WB4OMG